Many people may qualify for Medicare while still working. The Pew Research Center reported in 2016 more Americans aged 65 and over are still working now compared to in 2000, and the trend is rising.

Do I qualify for Medicare while still working?

Most people are eligible for Medicare Part A and Part B benefits when they turn 65. Medicare Part A is hospital coverage that most people receive without charge, if they worked at least 10 years (40 quarters) and paid Medicare taxes while working. Medicare Part B is medical insurance, and beneficiaries pay a monthly premium for this coverage.

How might I arrange for Medicare while still working?

If you’re still working, you may or may not be receiving Social Security benefits If you are collecting Social Security benefits, typically you will be automatically enrolled in Original Medicare, Part A and Part B. Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail about three months before your 65th birthday. You will receive a package that has instructions for delaying Medicare Part B enrollment (most people receive premium-free Part A).

When you’re eligible for Medicare while still working, perhaps you’re already covered by your employer’s plan. You can generally keep your current coverage and delay enrollment in Medicare Part B (most people pay a Part B premium). Medicare does not typically penalize you for delaying your enrollment in Part B in cases such as this. You might want to accept Part A enrollment if you don’t pay a Part A premium.

Can I delay Medicare while still working?

If you wish to delay enrollment in Medicare Part B while still working, you can visit this page on the Social Security website or visit a Social Security office in person. If you decide not to sign up for Medicare Part B now, you will be able to enroll in it via a Special Election Period once you or your spouse’s employment and/or employer-sponsored health coverage ends.

Those who are not collecting Social Security benefits can sign up for Medicare manually. It can be done via your local Social Security office, online, or over the phone.

  • Visit the Social Security website.
  • Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM– all U.S. time zones.
  • If you worked for a railroad, call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1-877-772-5772 (TTY users call 312-751-4701), Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM and Wednesday 9:00 AM to noon – all U.S. time zones.