If you’re enrolled in Medicare, you need to let Medicare know if your address changes. In addition to receiving your red, white, and blue Medicare ID card in the mail, you’ll also receive other important information, such as your quarterly Medicare Summary Notices, and your annual “Medicare and You” handbook.

Here’s what you need to know to file a Medicare change of address if you’ve moved or your address has changed.

How do I file a Medicare change of address?

Even though Medicare is managed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), it works with the Social Security Administration to maintain eligibility and enrollment information. For this reason, you will typically need to update your address information with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to notify Medicare and Social Security that your address has changed.

The easiest way to do this is online, with a My Social Security account. Your My Social Security account lets you change your address and phone number on file and even request a replacement Medicare card. You can set up the account online. If you don’t have a My Social Security account or prefer not to use one, you can visit a local office.

If you are changing your address to one outside the United States, don’t have Internet access, or just need help with your Medicare change of address, you can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What if I get benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board?

If you get retirement benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), you will need to file a Medicare change of address with the RRB and not with the Social Security Administration. You can get more information about how to change your address online by visiting the agency website at www.rrb.gov, or by calling the RRB at 1-877-772-5772 TY users call 1-312-751-4701Monday through Friday, 9AM to 3:30PM, for general information about Medicare coverage and Medicare change of address procedures.

When should I file a Medicare change of address?

Whenever you need health care as a Medicare beneficiary, your health-care provider, hospital, or medical supplier will ask to see your Medicare card (or your Medicare Advantage card, if you receive benefits through a Medicare Advantage plan) to verify your benefits. If your card gets lost or stolen, it’s important to have a current address on file with the Social Security Administration so you can get a replacement Medicare card as quickly as possible.

If you know your address is about to change, you can file a Medicare change of address as soon as you have an address and effective date. Even if you file a change of address form with the post office, it’s still a good idea to complete a Medicare change of address with Social Security to prevent any delays in receiving important notices and information related to your benefits.

If you have questions about your coverage and Medicare change of address procedures, I’m happy to assist you in any way I can. To get started, simply click the Get Quotes button to schedule a phone call or to request a personalized email.