“Does Medicare cover me if I move?” It’s one of the most common questions we get – and the answer may depend on the type of coverage you have.

Does Medicare cover me if I move and I have Original Medicare?

If you’re enrolled in Original Medicare, Part A and Part B, then Medicare still covers you when moving as long as your new address is within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.

You should be able to use any doctor or provider that is enrolled in the Medicare program, even after moving to a new address.

Does Medicare cover me if I move and I have a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan?

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage (Part C) or stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, you may need to make changes to your coverage, depending on where you’re moving. Some Medicare Advantage plans require you to use certain network providers; similarly, Medicare plans with prescription drug coverage may have pharmacy networks you must use for your medications to be covered. So, if you’re moving out of network, your Medicare plan may not cover you in your new address.

Contact your Medicare plan to notify them of the move and to find out if your new address is still in-network. You may qualify for a Special Election Period to change plans if you’ve moved out of your plan’s service area. You may also be able to change plans if you have new plan options after you move, even if your new address is still within your plan’s service area.

Does Medicare still cover me if I move and I have a Medicare Supplement plan?

Your Medicare Supplement plan should generally still cover you even if you move as long as you stay enrolled in Original Medicare. Medicare Supplement plans have the same standardized benefits in most states, so your plan coverage will remain the same. However, the situation could be more complicated if you are moving to or from Wisconsin, Massachusetts, or Minnesota, which have their own standardized plans.

You may need to change plans if you have a Medicare SELECT plan, a special type of Medicare Supplement plan that usually requires you to use network providers. If you’re moving out of your Medicare SELECT plan’s service area, you can buy a different Medicare Supplement plan from your company with the same or less coverage as your current plan. You may also have a guaranteed-issue right to switch to a different plan from another company. Contact your plan for more information.

What do I need to do if I move and change addresses?

If you’re moving, make sure to contact Social Security to update your address on file. To change your address, visit a Social Security office in person; go online at www.ssa.gov; or call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM in every U.S. time zone.

If you worked for a railroad, contact the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) at 1-877-772-5772 (TTY users call 1-312-751-4701), Monday through Friday, from 9AM to 3:30PM in every U.S. time zone.

If you’d like help finding Medicare plan options in your new location, I’d be glad to help.

To get started, simply click the Get Quotes button to schedule a phone call or to request a personalized email.